It’s all happening. After starting this blog OVER 2 YEARS AGO…I will finally post my first entry. I’m sure you are thinking “this is going to be one hell of a first post if it was over 2 years in the making” well, it’s fair at best. I’m excited to let you into my world to experience the craziness that makes me who I am. Now let’s get to what we all came here for, bourbon.
My absolute favorite adult beverage is the classic Old Fashioned. Simple. Strong. Not Sweet.
Let’s talk bourbon for a second. I have seen the process first hand and it is complex and time consuming but absolutely worth it for a quality product. Let me tell you, there are some serious rules involved in labeling and selling bourbon in the United States.
- It must be produced in this beautiful country that is the USA.
- The mash must contain at least 51% corn
- Bottled at 80 proof but distilled to no more than 160 proof
- Aged in NEW oak barrels…cannot be reused for bourbon
Alcohol is fun!
Classic “Old Fashioned”
- 1.5oz bourbon
- 2 tsp simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water dissolved together)
- 2 dashes of bitters
- 1 thinly sliced orange
- 1 sweet cherry (preferably from Michigan)
- 3 ice cubes
Pour simple syrup and bitters into a rocks glass, add ice. Pour in bourbon then add orange slice and sweet cherry. Finally, stir the beverage GENTLY. Give this drink the respect it deserves.
Cheers friends and welcome.